Click for Takamatsu Airport, Japan Forecast Free Website Counter
Free Website Counter

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Supermarkets, Japanese TV and Photo-less

Supermarkets

Another trip to the supermarket today. Determined not to live on the Japanese equivelant of Pot Noodles or Mini-Pizza's I made a more concerted effort to dig out food I might like. It's not just the Kanji/Katakana scrawled packages that are confusing but the odd pictures on the front and totally alien nature of the cuisine. I picked up a packet that I thought was noodles, but as I inspected it closer it turned out to be for all lives and purposes something to do with fish soup.

My local supermarket is a wonder. From rows of strange vegatables nestling with the more obvious ones, like a politician amongst a group of saints, to my own personal favourites, bags and bags of dried fish...with the heads still on.

I'm pretty sure it's going to take me a while to master this. In the end I bought some bread (talk about doorstops!), pasta, rice, peas, corn, water, cola, mcvities chocolate digestives, some tomatoes and (most importantly) beer. Don't worry. I'm not going to starve to death.

Japanese TV

Crazy.

The news at 10 is broadcast with English dubbing, which is so bad it's hilarious. The Japanese spend ages on each subject. My favourites being one about odd bits of metal found all over Japan, and a poodle that walked 302 metres on her hind legs.

Also spotted Bruce Willis pimpin' himself out to sell Mazda's in Japan. Crazy guy!

Photo-less

The fact of not having a digital camera is a bit of a pain at the moment. If only I could put up what I see, then you would have some idea of the beauty and bizarre mixture that this country is.

Hopefully I will sort thsi soon.

Justin out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home