Click for Takamatsu Airport, Japan Forecast Free Website Counter
Free Website Counter

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

New Teachers, Old Teachers and the increasing countdown of age

It's been a strange week.

Work has again been ridiculously busy, with still only myself, Evan, Derrick and Dr. Goatee (our new name for Jason, but shhh! don't tell him) being the only teachers in the branch. Some days this has led to days of full lessons, and even students being unable to book. I actually prefer the full lessons. It's easier to waste time, letting the students attempt their English on each other, rather than me. I guess it's less intimidating when you're communicating with someone else who is as unsure of their abilities as you are.

As for work itself, it's still pretty much the same. Fairly easy, stress free and 90% of the time, enjoyable. My normal classes have seen me teach the autistic girl Mayu (all she does is draw, fondle her breasts and repeat everything you say), Hiroe (who in a Man to Man lesson about feelings, hit on me again...) and Satoshi and Kaori (a guy and a girl, who despite being really nice, sound like robots...).

Kids is still a challenge. I have 7 classes a week now. I have a Kinder class on Sunday morning which is fun. Hibiki, who is 5, can't control his hands and is moving into my "Crazy Gang" of Kinders on Saturday afternoon. Also in this Sunday morning class, I have this really cute girl called Maho. She cried on her first day (about 3 weeks ago), but she likes me now and decides to "tickle" me on the back. By tickle I mean scratch me, really hard... I have scars...

Evan is staying in Saijo. He decided to cancel his transfer to Hiroshima at the last minute. It was touch and go though as our Area Manager, Dean (who is a pretty nice guy) told him it could be too late. However he found out on Saturday that he is staying put. To be fair, I'm pretty happy about this. I like Evan, and I think we get on pretty well. I hate the idea of meeting someone, making an effort to be friends and then 6 months later that person goes somewhere else. Evan is a good bloke, so I'm pretty chuffed that he's hanging around.

Jason met one of our new teachers on Friday at the station. He was very cryptic about what she was like, but I had the chance to meet her on Saturday night. Myself, Dr. Goatee and Jennifer all met up for dinner. I decided on Wara-Wara, an Izakaya (Japanese bar/pub thingy), as the food's pretty nice and the atmosphere is relaxed.
She was a bit closed at first, but as soon as we got to the Izakaya, and had a "nama beeru" (draught beer), she was really cool. Although her first statement to me about "I don't like English People" made me come out fighting in my own sarcastic colours. I think (and so does Dr. Goatee) that we got on really well for a first meeting. Despite Jason and her coming from the same State, I don't think she likes him that much. I have to meet the other new teacher, Suzette, on Friday, as if she's half as nice as Jen that'll be cool.

Argghhh! 29 on Thursday. Crap on a stick! I am the eldest teacher at our branch, and somedays I feel like the elder statesman. However over dinner on Saturday, Jen said that 29 is young, that I'm living a life that many younger people strive for and many older people feel they've missed out on. I guess sometimes, you need a stranger to put your life in perspective, (even though I threw in a comment about her being around during the time of the US Civil War, during a conversation about age, to which she replied that she colours her hair)....Anyway, me and Evan are having a party party to celebrate this momentous occassion on Sunday night, and it already looks like its going to be busy here!

So far we have -

Me!
Evan
Jason/Dr. Goatee
Derrick + 1 or 2 guests
Jen + her anorexic friend
Suzette (?)
Ken + "his girl"
NOVA staff - Mina, Yuukie, Akiko
Kaori + 2 friends

Yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home