Click for Takamatsu Airport, Japan Forecast Free Website Counter
Free Website Counter

Friday, August 12, 2005

Kyoto part four - Sanju-Sangen-Do and a British pub.

After getting over my Ramen, I headed off to the temple of Sanju Sangen Do. From what my lonely planet guide stated it sounded rather interesting, as it housed 1001 statues of the same deity.

Sanju-Sangen-Do, was a rather plain looking temple, not uncommon in appearence to a rather long barn. However once inside, I was mesmerised by the place, and I have to admit it remains one my favourite places in Kyoto. Apparently the structure is a National Treasure and dates back to 1266, and has remained unchanged for over 700 years.

Inside the temple are 1001 golden Japanese cypress statues of the Buddhist deity Kannon. 124 were made in the 12th century and the other 876 were finished in the 13th century. It was an amazing site (and sadly photographs were not allowed inside), and strangely unsettling. I imagined them all coming to life and beheading me....

Sat in front of these statues are 28 images (other statues), placed in a straight line were the Guardian Dieties which protect Kannon and the Buddhists who believe in Kannon. Many of these orginate from India, and it really was a stunning site.

That evening I found a British theme pub, known as the Pig and Whistle and tucked into a pint of Guinness and Fish and Chips. I also started talking with some British guys who were travelling around the world, and strangely enough had come from Hiroshima...

2 Comments:

At 1:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Juzi

Just wanted to say Congrats Bro - you know what for ! Brilliant you voice thing man !!! Will mail you later :)

PROUD OF YOU AS EVER

Kel and gang xxxx

 
At 9:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guiness & Fish n Chips in Kyoto, nice one!! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home