Click for Takamatsu Airport, Japan Forecast Free Website Counter
Free Website Counter

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Kyoto part two - Kinkaku-Ji

After wandering around Nijo-Jo for about 2 hours, I hopped back on the bus and headed back to the station. Here I boarded another bus and headed for Kinkaku-Ji, one of the most famous sites in all of Japan.

I expected it to be packed, but when I arrived (and I'm sure it had something to do with the 37 degree temperature), there were maybe 20 or so people milling around the gardens.

Kinkaku-Ji (Golden Pavilion) or Rokuon-Ji as it is properly called was built in the early 13th century and was the villa of Kintsune Saionji. However the area really began to prosper after Yoshimitsu the 3rd shogun of Ashikaga abdicated the throne in 1394. He wanted to indulge in his peaceful life in a serene setting, and the gardens now remain as it was in his day.

The temple was recoated in 1987 after the coating of Japanese lacquer was found to be little decayed. However as I stood there in the presence of a building that was both indulgent and breathtaking, I was overcome with the sheer awe I felt. Not just at Kinkaku-Ji, but at the gardens and lake that framed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home