Click for Takamatsu Airport, Japan Forecast Free Website Counter
Free Website Counter

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Kyoto part five - Day two and the long journey to Ryoan - Ji

I awoke after a really content's second night sleep on my futon, and proceeded to prepare myself for the day ahead. Again the weather was already in the high 20's at 8 in the morning and although I was grateful for the fine weather, a drop in temperature would have been nice.

After breakfast in the Evil Empire of McDonalds, I decided to take a long bus ride to the outskirts of Kyoto to visit the temple of Ryoan-Ji and it's famous rock garden. The bus ride itself was pleasant, and I passed through some of the more sedate and fascinating parts of the city.

The temple itself was another 15 minutes or so, from the bus stop, and I had to ask for directions. The entrance was hidden behind a long sloping path, and overhanging branches, and this seemed to be in the spirit of the place. I expected Ryoan-Ji to be packed, but I was pleased to find that there were only about 30 or so people in the entire grounds. This leant my whole experience something of a peaceful and reflect tilt, and I wandered around the beautiful gardens, and spent about 20 minutes gazing at the famous rock garden.

I was more fascinated by the moss covered gardens that surrounded the temple. It reminded me of something from Lord of the Rings, maybe an Elven Kingdom. The moss was such a vibrant and healthy shade of green.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home